For individuals responsible gambling is when gambling is simply a part of entertainment in a balanced lifestyle.
However for companies in the gambling businesses “responsible gambling” must be defined with clear policies and boundaries to insure players have a quality experience and a safe environment which protects them from the potential negative effects of online gambling.
For gambling to be part of a balanced lifestyle it needs to be approached as a form of recreation and not as a means to generate income. Most people have no problem keeping gambling recreational and only spending money they can afford to lose. For others it is a challenge to control an insatiable urge to gamble which can have negative effects on the gambler’s life.
In order to insure that users of online gambling sites are protected software providers and online operators are required to abide by the precepts of responsible gambling. Software suppliers are required to support operators of gambling websites in complying with the legal and technical regulations of responsible gambling.
There are 7 main principles to responsible gambling which can be directly applied to iGaming:
- Protect vulnerable gamblers.
- Prevent underage gambling.
- Safeguard against illegal gambling activities.
- Secure online monetary transaction protection.
- Provide a secure and safe online environment.
- Responsible and ethical marketing.
1. Protect Vulnerable Gamblers – An important part of responsible gambling is protecting vulnerable gamblers. Gamblers who become addicted with online gambling are liable to over spend and disrupt their everyday lives negatively.
The main preventative measures which most regulators in the iGaming world impose include self-exclusion options which limit the amount each gambler can spend and the amount of time they can play on a gaming website.
2. Prevent Underage Gambling – Preventing underage gambling is a vital aspect of responsible gambling. It is imperative that individuals who do not meet the legal gambling age (18yrs or 21yrs depending on the jurisdiction) are not permitted to gamble for money.
Operators of online gaming businesses should take all necessary precautions to insure that no underage gambling occurs on their gambling sites and that the site and players abide by the laws protecting minors in the targeted jurisdictions, Like, for example, if you obtain Curacao gambling license.
The website registration process must be easy to follow and applied to all players. Access to the website must include mandatory verification steps to make sure no underage gamblers have access to the website.
3. Safeguard against Illegal Gambling Activities – Gambling sites can be targets for online criminals just like all other website which deals with e-commerce or involves monitory transactions. Online criminals seek to obtain private and financial data using malicious software which targets vulnerable websites.
To protect websites from online criminal activities operators should insert software and procedures that can detect and block hackers and prevent money laundering scams.
5. Secure Online Monetary Transaction Protection Operators offering online betting on sporting events and casino games must insure that players are using a reliable payment software platform which will protect their personal information and private financial data. For this reason it is essential that online gaming operators choose an appropriate gaming solution to guarantee safe transactions for players making deposits, transfers and withdrawing winnings from the gambling site.
6. Provide a Secure and Safe Online Environment – Safe gambling requires that websites implement a series of restrictions, controls and technical mechanisms to create a secure and safe online environment.
When operators provide a safe and secure online environment on their gaming websites the players have a place where they can relax and have fun knowing they are safe and that all payments and technical processes will be handled in a secure manner. This creates trust between the gaming website operators and their clients.
7. Responsible and Ethical Marketing – Online gambling website operators should meet all legal requirements and comply with all relevant regulations relating to marketing and advertizing their sites. The relevant advertising codes of practice insure that no false advertizing occurs and that all information given in advertisements is factual. It is also imperative that the advertisements do not target underage players; vulnerable gamblers or those who have self-excluded themselves from gambling in general or the website specifically. In the case of direct marketing (by post, email, Whatsapp, SMS etc) the operators must obtain permission prior to commencing advertising which uses customers’ personal details.